Dec 19, 2007

Frosty the Snowman

This image is from Frosty the Snowman I recall watching as a kid. Something always bothered me about the nose. It's supposed to be a button, but it looks more like smashed Michigan cherry.

Does it bother you that we sing "Frosty the Snowman" at Christmas time? It bothers me, because it has nothing to do with Christmas. No yule tide, no references to the Nativity or Nativical referencs, no gift giving, nary a Santa or reindeer shout out.

Some kids host a chilly seance, erect a snow-demon who takes them around the city for winter tomfoolery before the sun comes out and melts him. Weird.

Honestly, despite it's lack of Christmas connection, the kiddies love singing it and it will probably always be associated with the season.

Here's a charming version performed by Fiona Apple.

4 comments:

Serena Cherry said...

I think Lane would be very dissapointed to read this post. As Frosty is one of her favorites, I will decline from mentioning to her this blog ever happened.

david said...

serena, tell lane that the truth (like beauty), hurts.

; )

Liz said...

Wow, I heart this version of the song. I actually think this song (and the movie) is obnoxious, but Fiona rocks it. Thanks for sharing.

And I'm glad Ashley made you download Mariah Carey "All I want for Christmas is you". She hearts that song, too. I think the movie "Love Actually" made her love it. It might convert you, too. Check it out. It's a great holiday movie.

Dawn D. Lion said...

I've never heard Ms. Apple sounding so light and happy. Cute.