Jan 3, 2008

resolution


Like everyone, at New Years I make some resolutions. Unlike most people - my resolutions were concerning the reduction or swelling without suppuration. You see, resolutions have lots of different meanings:

1. a formal expression of opinion or intention made, usually after voting, by a formal organization, a legislature, a club, or other group. Compare concurrent resolution, joint resolution.
2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3. the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
4. the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.
5. the act or process of resolving or separating into constituent or elementary parts.
6. the resulting state.
7. Optics. the act, process, or capability of distinguishing between two separate but adjacent objects or sources of light or between two nearly equal wavelengths. Compare resolving power.
8. a solution, accommodation, or settling of a problem, controversy, etc.
9. Music. the progression of a voice part or of the harmony as a whole from a dissonance to a consonance. the tone or chord to which a dissonance is resolved.
10. reduction to a simpler form; conversion.
11. Medicine/Medical. the reduction or disappearance of a swelling or inflammation without suppuration.
12. the degree of sharpness of a computer-generated image as measured by the number of dots per linear inch in a hard-copy printout or the number of pixels across and down on a display screen.

Most people are referring to number two on the list when they are making new years resolutions, but not me. I'm going for number 11. I want to have a year free of swelling or inflammation without suppuration.

Ok, I confess, I have no idea what suppuration is - but I do plan on making and keeping my resolutions like I do every year. I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that I was 100% successful at accomplishing my resolutions last year.

Like most of you, I have resolutions pertaining to fitness, education, and professional development. I also have a resolution to learn more spanish (a continuation from last year's successful achievement) *ehem:
Uno agua pura por favor? (my most oft used phrase in Guatmala).

Hopefully you guys don't have any goals pertaining to the suppuration of inflammation, but perhaps you'd like to share some yours with me? You know what they say,
a goal never spoken is just a wish. Actually, I have no idea where I heard that. I hope I didn't rip that off from Steven R. Covey or I'll be mortified.

So make with the resolutions!

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Luckily Dr Rogers is here to the rescue. Suppuration is basically an inflammation that ends in necrosis (think gangrene). Usually resulting in pustule formation. Its not pretty. Trust me when I say, resolution is a good thing. At the beginning of the year, or anytime really.

My resolution is to keep better in contact with old friends. And watch out, because I'm starting with you David!

david said...

so so timely dr. rogers. remember when you tangled with my chiropractor? i wonder if she knew what suppurtation is.

my resolution is to encourage all inflammation to end in necrosis.

aisy said...

um, going greener, eating healthier (like, actually cooking on a regular basis) and running a marathon. that should keep me busy enough.

happy 2008 mr. p

Ryan said...

Dave,

Here's your first spanish lesson. Repeat after me - Memento. . . . now say it slowly . . . Mem - en - to:)

Tell me you didn't laugh at that.

david said...

ryan... shame on you.

i didn't laugh technically, but i certainly smiled.

is that an ex-gf reference?

Adam & Marci said...

I hope that on the top of your resolution list is:
1.) Buy plane tickets to Boston to visit Adam and Marci...

As for me, I've already failed at one of my resolutions. But, we have made serious headway on our goal to stock our pantry with a two weeks supply of food. We even bought a little gas stove for our 72 hour kit...now that is progress.

bonniegraves said...

What's wrong with Stephen R. Covey, besides everything? And does Mitt have a "MySpace" page? Does it have "Here Come the Oxcarts" playing in an ominous background soundtrack? One of my New Year's resolutions: remember to post comments on blogs I enjoy reading when I am not, of course, plotting my eternal progression via expensive leather-bound planners from Stephen R. Covey. :)
Hope to have you and your lovely wife up for dinner some time soon in 2008! --BG

Disco Mom said...

I'm firmly against making new year resolutions. I think my distaste for goal-setting began with the YW personal-waste-of-time not-true-progress-but-doing-something-for-the-sake-of-saying-you-did-something program. Since then I've failed on most major resolution-style goals I've set. I don't write them down. I don't tell them to anyone. I don't even specifically spell them out to myself. That way something actually gets done. Interesting how that works, but it works for me.

I am down with that earlier comment about going more green this year, though. There was a recent Oprah that got me really thinking about this. Since I rent, I'm not putting a lot into energy-saving changes in my home and I'm sorry but I hate the light those good flourescent bulbs give off. I was thinking of switching to better home cleaners and detergents. It's a baby step.

Oh, yeah, and speaking of, we're working on getting the baby to take steps :)

Mia said...

I like the green comment from earlier as well. I am going to buy reusable shopping bags, and actually use them (more than once).